Common Name and Latin Name
The Common Name and Latin Name are as follows:
Common Name (s): Garden spider, Diadem spider or Cross spider
Latin Name: Araneus diadematus
What do Garden Spiders eat? What is its prey?
They eat mostly flying insects caught in their orb webs
How big is the Garden Spider?
Female Garden spiders can grow to be 13mm were males may only reach 8mm
Where does the Garden Spider live, what is its habitat?
This spider can be found in:
What is the average life span of the Garden Spider?
This type of spider lives on average for 1 to 2 years
Does the Garden Spider have good eyesight?
This spider has poor eyesight and relies on vibrations along the strands of their webs
Facts and Information about the Garden Spider
Did you know the following facts about the arachnid commonly known as the Garden Spider?
- Fact One - They have been known to stridulate when threatened
- Fact Two - When they reach adult size they are frequently seen in September and October
- Fact Three - Webs are constructed normally a meter above ground level
- Fact Four - Female garden spiders will normally be found hanging upside down in the middle of their web
- Fact Five - Spiderlings look very different when they appear in spring and early summer with bright yellow bodies and a dark brown patch on their abdomen
- Fact Six - Their third pair of legs are specialized for assisting in the spinning of their web
- Fact Seven - The third pair of legs are also used to help the spider move around the web without getting stuck
- Fact Eight - New webs are made each morning
- Fact Nine - Males are smaller than females
- Fact Ten - When a male approaches a female for mating he will do so very slowly and carefully otherwise he may end up being eaten by her
Classification of the Garden Spider
Species of spiders are classified according to shared physical characteristics. Spider taxonomy is the science of finding, describing, classifying and naming organisms in a hierarchical system. This method of classification helps when a description of 40,000 spiders is required! The organization of living things have seven major categories: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. The classification of the Garden Spider is as follows:
(Kingdom relates to the highest taxonomic group into which organisms are grouped; one of five biological categories: Monera or Protoctista or Plantae or Fungi or Animalia) :
(Phyla are groups of classes. A series of animals or plants genetically connected with shared characteristics. The second biggest grouping in taxonomy. Arthropoda are jointed-foot invertebrates: arachnids, crustaceans, insects etc
A Class is a taxonomic group containing one or more orders. Arachnid consist of any of the eight-legged creatures, including
spiders and scorpions, of the class Arachnida
A taxonomic order, within the class Arachnida (spiders)
The Subclass is nother taxonomic category below a class and above an order which helps in the classification process
Another taxonomic category below an order and above a genus which helps in the classification process.
Another taxonomic category below a family and above the level of species which helps in the classification process.
Species: A. diadematus
Specis is a taxonomic group whose members can interbreed.
Spider Exterminators - Pest Control
Generally speaking, people do not like spiders especially Garden Spiders and most of all, do not want them in their homes! There are many forms of pest control and ways to exterminate spiders such as Garden Spiders. There are spider exterminators, services, spider zappers, spider traps, spider repeller, spider catchers, spider traps for the removal and extermination process. Advice is available on subjects such as pest controls, pest prevention, spider catchers, spider exterminators and how to kill spiders like Garden Spiders. Some people would like to eliminate spiders from there homes completely, this can be very difficult as an open window on a summers day will allow spiders in, even opening your front door when entering and leaving will allow pesky spiders in. It is very easy to get rid of Garden Spiders by catching them yourself. Its best not to kill spiders as they are very important in controlling the level of other insects that are pests.