The European hornet also emits a very deep buzz when compared to a wasps and is very distinguished.
With European hornets having a stigma about their temperament, many have been killed along with their nest resulting in a large decline in the species. This has lead to them being endangered in some places. In Germany, the European hornet has been given legal protection by making it illegal to kill an European hornet or nest from the 1st January 1987. A fine of up to 50,000 Euros is the penalty for breaking the protection act.
European hornets are not attracted to people's food however at night, they are attracted to light.
Did You Know?
Did you know the following facts about wasps - hornets?
- Fact One - Wasps are not bees.
- Fact Two - Wasps can create a nest out of wood or mud where bees make their nests from honey.
- Fact Three - Wasps are most aggressive from August to October.
- Fact Four - They eat insects, food and rubbish.
- Fact Five - Wasps become inactive at night.
- Fact Six - They are normally found in their nest.
- Fact Seven - They are very sensitive to light.
- Fact Eight - They eat caterpillars.
- Fact Nine - Male wasps don't have a stinger.
- Fact Ten - Females have the stinger and it is also their sex organ.
- Fact Eleven - Females protect the nest.
- Fact Twelve - Not all female wasps are fertile.