Common Name and Latin Name
The Common Name and Latin Name are as follows:
Common Name (s): Black House Spider
Latin Name: Badumna insignis
What do the Black House Spider eat? What is its prey?
The Black house spiders eats:
Is the Black House Spider poisonous?
All types (except Uloboridae) are poisonous! The Black house spider is not deadly to humans but can give a nasty bite that can cause:
- Local swelling
In some cases:
- In rear cases:
- Skin lesions may develop as a result of multiple bites.
How big is the Black House Spider?
Female Black house spiders grow as large as 18mm with a leg span of 30mm, and like most spiders the male is smaller growing to around 10mm.
Where does the Black House Spider live, what is its habitat?
The Black house spider can be found in:
What is the average life span of the Black House Spider?
The Black house spider lives for around 2 years.
Facts and Information about the Black House Spider
Did you know the following facts about the arachnid commonly known as the Black House Spider?
- Fact One - The web made by the Black house spider often looks like a funnel web, however they are not funnel web spiders.
- Fact Two - The Black house spiders web is normally very messy and made up of triangular shapes.
- Fact Three - The Black house spiders web will have a nest were it spends most of its time until prey is felt in the web, the nest has a funnel shape leading to it.
- Fact Four - Female Black house spiders will only leave their webs if they are forced to.
- Fact Five - Black house spiders repaired and enlarge their webs daily.
- Fact Six - Male Black house spider leave their webs in order to search for a female to mate with.
- Fact Seven - Once a male Black house spiders finds a female, he will pluck at her web in order to catch her attention.
- Fact Eight - When the coast is clear and the female is ok with the male, the male will approach to inseminate her.
- Fact Nine - Unlike a lot of spiders they may stay together for a few days and mate few more times before the male leaves.
- Fact Ten - Inside the web retreat the female will lay and make a few egg sacks.
- Fact Eleven - The female will stay and protect the eggs until they have hatched.
Classification of the Black House Spider
Species of spiders are classified according to shared physical characteristics. Spider taxonomy is the science of finding, describing, classifying and naming organisms in a hierarchical system. This method of classification helps when a description of 40,000 spiders is required! The organization of living things have seven major categories: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. The classification of the Black House Spider is as follows:
(Kingdom relates to the highest taxonomic group into which organisms are grouped; one of five biological categories: Monera or Protoctista or Plantae or Fungi or Animalia) :
(Phyla are groups of classes. A series of animals or plants genetically connected with shared characteristics. The second biggest grouping in taxonomy. Arthropoda are jointed-foot invertebrates: arachnids, crustaceans, insects etc
A Class is a taxonomic group containing one or more orders. Arachnid consist of any of the eight-legged creatures, including spiders and scorpions, of the class Arachnida
A taxonomic order, within the class Arachnida (spiders)
The Subclass is nother taxonomic category below a class and above an order which helps in the classification process
Another taxonomic category below an order and above a genus which helps in the classification process.
Another taxonomic category below a family and above the level of species which helps in the classification process.
Species: B. insignis
Specis is a taxonomic group whose members can interbreed.
Spider Exterminators - Pest Control
Generally speaking, people do not like spiders especially Black House Spiders and most of all, do not want them in their homes! There are many forms of pest control and ways to exterminate spiders such as Black House Spiders. There are spider exterminators, services, spider zappers, spider traps, spider repeller, spider catchers, spider traps for the removal and extermination process. Advice is available on subjects such as pest controls, pest prevention, spider catchers, spider exterminators and how to kill spiders like Black House Spiders. Some people would like to eliminate spiders from there homes completely, this can be very difficult as an open window on a summers day will allow spiders in, even opening your front door when entering and leaving will allow pesky spiders in. It is very easy to get rid of Black House Spiders by catching them yourself. Its best not to kill spiders as they are very important in controlling the level of other insects that are pests.